In July 2017 our flame retardant fabric Selene-9 was tested and certified to NFPA 2112:2012 (Standard on Flame-Resistant Garments for Protection of Industrial Personnel against Flash Fire).
Selene-9 is a 320gsm (9oz) flame retardant fabric with 3/1 twill weave and made of 88% cotton, 12% nylon. This fabric is developed for FR-clothing and is intended for use in Electric companies, Manufacturing Machinery and Petroleum industries. An innovative and very durable NC blend (88% cotton and 12% nylon), is already very popular in USA, Canada, Brazil, Venezuela and other countries due to increased life circle of FR-clothing made of NC blend. Selene-9 provides excellent protection from Heat, Flame and Arc Electric. This FR-fabric is an excellent choice for work trousers, bibs or coveralls.
In 2000, the National Fire Safety Association (NFPA) developed an industry standard NFPA 2112 for FR-clothing to protect personnel from a flash fire. This standard protects workers from flash fire exposure and injury by specifying performance requirements and test methods for flame-resistant fabric and garments.
Selene-9 was tested for all NFPA 2112 tests as is and after 100 washing cycles at 660C and tumble drying at 680C.
The testing was done at independent international laboratory AITEX (Spain). According to standard NFPA 2112:2012 our fabric has been successfully tested to the following tests:
- Standard Test Method for Unsteady-State Heat Transfer Evaluation of Flame Resistant Materials for Clothing with Continuous Heating (ASTM F2700 – 08(2013) – performance level – PASS
Fabric utilized in the construction of flame-resistant garments shall be tested for thermal protective performance (TPP) and shall have a “spaced” TPP rating of not less than 25 J/cm2 (6.0 cal/cm2) and a “contact” TPP rating of not less than 12,6 J/cm2 (3.0 cal/cm2).
- Selene-9 spaced result TPP: 11.83 cal/cm2 – PASS
- Selene-9 contact result TPP: 12.53 cal/cm2 – PASS
- Standard Test Method for Flame Resistance of Textiles – Vertical Test (ASTM D6413 / D6413M – 15) – performance level – PASS
Fabric and reflective striping utilized in the construction of flame-resistant garments shall be tested for flame resistance and shall have a char length of not more than 100 mm (4 inch.) and an afterflame of not more than 2 seconds, and shall not melt and drip.
- Selene-9 After Glow time: 0,8 sec – PASS
- Selene-9 char length value: 67,2mm (original) – PASS
- Selene-9 char length value: 80,0mm (100 washing cycles at 660C) – PASS
- Heat Resistance ( NFPA 2112:2012 point 8.4) – performance level – PASS
Fabric utilized in the construction of flame-resistant garments, excluding manufacturers’ labels, shall be individually tested for thermal shrinkage resistance and shall not shrink more than 10% in any direction.
Selene-9 original average Shrinkage
- Warp: –2,0% – PASS
- Weft: –0,7% – PASS
Selene-9 after 100 washing cycles at 660C average Shrinkage
- Warp: –1,9% – PASS
- Weft: –0,5% – PASS
- Standard Test Method for Evaluation of Flame Resistant Clothing for Protection Against Flash Fire Simulations Using an Instrumented Manikin ( ASTM F1930 – 00(2008) – performance level – PASS
Specimen garments shall be tested for overall flash fire exposure as a qualification test for the material and percentage of the total manikin surface reaching the 2nd and 3rd degree burn criteria shall not exceed 50% (for 3 second exposure).
This test method is used to provide predicted human skin burn injury for single layer garments or protective clothing.
- Selene-9 average body burn rating: 6,6% – PASS.
You can find all the certificates and additional information on the Selene-9 product page.